Cruzeiros Atlântico

Places of Visit

Monuments to visit along the Rio Tejo.

The Shrine of Christ the King

Is one of the ex-libris of Lisbon. The idea of its construction began in September 1934, after the Cardinal Cherry, Patriarch of Lisbon to visit the monument erected to Christ on top of Corcovado, Rio de Janeiro. When it came to Portugal had the bright idea of proposing the establishment of a similar Monument in Lisbon.

It was however the non-participation of Portugal in World War II which precipitated the realisation of the project, following a promise made by the bishops, that if Portugal was spared the carnage of war the monument would be erected on 18 December 1950 was laid the foundation stone of a Monument and 17 May 1959, Lisbon and Almada, as well as its surroundings to large distances contemplated for the first time the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

The monument was inaugurated on 17 May 1959. The author is one of the architects António Lino and Francisco de Mello e Castro and the master-sculptors Francisco Franco and Leopoldo de Almeida.

The monument is 113 meters above sea level and offers one of the most beautiful views over the city of Lisbon.

The bridge over the TEJO River

25th of April Bridge is a suspension bridge, with a total length of about 2,280 meters. It is a bridge road and railway which connects the city of Lisbon the city of Almada, and crosses the estuary of the Tagus river in the final part and more closely.

The grandeur and magnificence of the 25th of April Bridge is expressed in the fact that, at the time of its inauguration, being the fifth largest suspension bridge in the world and the largest outside of the United States of America.

It was inaugurated in 1966 with the name Ponte Salazar, later the bridge was given the current name in honor of the “The Carnation Revolution” on 25 April 1974.

Being particularly sought at the weekend, avoid traffic jams, leave your car in a parking lot and take the train that passes on the bottom of the bridge since 1999, or the boat in Cais do Sodré and savor the beautiful view on the journey to Cacilhas.

The Belém Cultural Centre

Situated in one of the most noble areas in cosmopolitan Lisboa, the Belém quarter, in front of the majestic Jerónimos Monastery, the Belém Cultural Centre is an architectonic equipment dedicated to the promotion of arts, functioning as well as a meetings and conferences centre.

The construction was initiated in 1988 and finished in 1993, aiming to fulfil the need of a space to receive the Presidency of the European Union and that, at the same time, would gather the crescent range of cultural activities of the Capital and of the Country.

The project was attributed to the Architects Vittorio Gregotti (Italy) and Manuel Salgado (Portugal), congregating a Meetings and Conference Centre, a Performing Arts Centre, an Exhibition Centre, an Hotel Zone and Complementary Equipment. It occupies nowadays a construction area of 97 thousand square meters, distributed in six hectares separated by two inner streets and united by a pedestrian sideway that creates an unity with the lovely Império Square.

Its location was quite polemic, right in front of one of the most prominent monuments in Lisboa, yet it aims to proudly mark the leaving point of the important Portuguese Maritime Discoveries back in the 15th century, that gave “new worlds to the world”, opening the doors to new cultures and lifestyles.

The National Pantheon

situated in the São Vicente de Fora old quarter of Lisboa, in the Santa Engrácia Church. The current building is located in the place where a Church in 1568 had been already erected, by the occasion of the creation of the old quarter of Santa Engrácia.

The temple is built in Mannerist architectural style from the 17th century, and was modified in the 18th century in Baroque style, and started functioning as a Pantheon from 1916 onwards.

Several of the most prestige Portuguese personalities here are buried: Presidents of the Portuguese Republic, National Poets and Artists, and individualities important in the Portuguese History.

The Bugio Tower

Classified as a building of public interest, this is one of the most curious constructions of maritime defense, not only for its architecture but also because of where it is situated. Bugio is a true sentry guard of the entrance in the Tagus estuary. A primary wooden fortification was erected here under a short period of Spanish rule, that was little more than a base of wood for some pieces of artillery. In 1593, under the direction of Friar João Vicêncio Casale, the construction of the “real” fortitude started.

The central tower has a lighthouse, although the date it was constructed is unknown, however studies verify that this lighthouse was modernized in 1836.

The Bugio Tower constitutes an excellent example of a round Renaissance fortress The Tower integrates a chapel with marble interiors and walls and roofs lined the wood.

Recently this construction was threatened, due to the sea erosion on its rocky support. After some administrative difficulties, some restoration and repair works were done.

The Belém Tower

Was built in homage to the patron Saint of Lisboa: São Vicente, in the place where was once anchored the Grande Nau (Big Ship), that combined firepower with the São Sebastião tower on the other bank of the river.

Located in the right bank of the Tagus river, where once existed a beach (the Belém beach) and was originally surrounded by water in all its perimeter. Today incorporated in the dry land, the Tower of Belém is one of the greatest highlights in Portugal. Classified as World Heritage by UNESCO in 1983, the Belém Tower is the crown jewel of Manueline architecture.

The construction was initiated in 1514 and finalized in 1520, under the project of the architect Francisco de Arruda along with Boitaca, and ordered by king Manuel the 1st. Symbol of the Royal prestige, the decoration boasts the Manueline iconography, conjugated along with naturalists elements.

The most highly decorated side of the Tower is south facing, with its narrow balcony. On the cloistral wall that rises above the bulwark, there is a sculptured image of the Virgin with Child dating back to the 18th century, forming the prow of the tower.

Cacilhas

Village located in Almada, Cacilhas is famous for its big Restaurant offer mainly dedicated to fresh fish, and also for the important public transport hub that link, through the typical “Cacilheiros” Boats, Lisboa to the South margin of the Tagus river, and enriched with a good road network.

The vestiges of human occupation in Cacilhas date back to the 8th century B.C., with archaeological points that attest the existence of a locality from the Bronze Age and, afterwards an important Phoenician trading centre. Cacilhas confirms, since remote times, the importance of the river Tagus, as a source of food and maintenance but, mostly as a communication and trading tool.

Cacilhas has a pleasant Riverside area, that lately has suffered several improvements and reformulation works, in order to adjust a depredated space in a charming leisure space with a better relation with the city and the river.

Cacilhas also comprehends a lovely heritage, like the Nossa Senhora do Bom Sucesso Church, the Archaeological station of Quinta do Amaraz that teach much about the history of the region, or the Roman Fish Salting Industry, probably built in the century 1 a.C.